Blog Archive

Monday, December 2, 2013

An Ode to the Death of a Long Ago Simplicity

Of all the things I've said and done
Take me back to the corner
Let the dreams of yesteryear fill my void
As I try to replace the cold with warmth
Toss out the good with the bad
And decide on no course of action
Back when limited reflection granted me nothing
Where cold hard facts were unfeeling and morose
When little children laughed and played
And no one told me I told you so
Before the mistakes came in and jilted me inward
But after I read my first books
And catapulted my endeavors into the stratosphere
And they lingered there
Just above my head
Like a mobile in a crib
Tenderly tuned to a tune of astute calamity
That somehow despite itself
Soothed my world weary heart
Before pretty eyes and  a delectable smile
Ripped out my fingernails
But after I decided to be good
Even though it would be difficult to breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment